Skip to Main Content
Fractionation of heavy metals in liquefied chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated wood sludge using a modified BCR-sequential extraction procedureAuthor(s): Hui Pan; Chung-Yun Hse; Robert Gambrell; Todd F. Shupe
Source: Chemosphere 77:201-206
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (257.52 KB)
DescriptionChromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated wood was liquefied with polyethylene glycol/glycerin and sulfuric acid. After liquefaction, most CCA metals (98% As, 92% Cr, and 83% Cu) were removed from liquefied CCA-treated wood by precipitation with calcium hydroxide. The original CCA-treated wood and liquefied CCA-treated wood sludge were fractionated by a modified Community Bureau of Reference (BCR) sequential extraction procedure. The purpose of the BCR-sequential extraction used in this study was to examine the availability of CCA metals in treated wood for reuse. Both As and Cr had a slightly higher concentration in the sludge sample than in original CCA-treated wood. The sequential extraction showed that As and Cr were principally existed in an oxidizable fraction (As, 67%; Cr, 88%) in original CCA-treated wood. Only 1% of both As and Cr were extracted by hot nitric acid with the last extraction step. The distribution of As and Cr changed markedly in liquefied CCA-treated wood sludge.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPan, Hui; Hse, Chung-Yun; Gambrell, Robert; Shupe, Todd F. 2009. Fractionation of heavy metals in liquefied chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated wood sludge using a modified BCR-sequential extraction procedure. Chemosphere 77:201-206.
KeywordsCCA-treated wood, liquefaction, metal fractionation, sequential extraction, metal recovery
- Evaluation of the accessibility of CCA metals in liquefied CCA-treated wood sludge for recovery and reuse
- Scaled-up remediation of CCA-treated wood
- Liquefaction of CCA-treated wood and elimination of metals from the solvent by precipitation
XML: View XML