Skip to Main Content
Identification of three randomly amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction markers for distinguishing Asian and North American Gypsy Moths (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae)Author(s): David E. Schreiber; Karen J. Garner; James M. Slavicek
Source: Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 90(5): 667-674.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (5.62 MB)
DescriptionGypsy moths originating in Asia have recently been introduced into North America, making it necessary to develop markers for distinguishing the Asian strain from the established North American population. We have identified 3 randomly amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction generated (RAPD-PCR) markers which are specific for either Asian or North American moths. The FS-2 and FS-3 markers are specific for the North American strain, and the FS-4 marker is specific for moths from far east Asia. The 3 RAPD-amplified fragments have been cloned and sequenced, and locus-specific primers have been developed for the FS-3 marker. These markers, in combination with other markers already available, will be useful for increasing the accuracy of identification of suspect moth specimens.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchreiber, David E.; Garner,Karen J.; Slavicek, James M. 1997. Identification of three randomly amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction markers for distinguishing Asian and North American Gypsy Moths (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 90(5): 667-674.
Keywordsgypsy moth, randomly amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction, sequence-characterized amplified region
- Identification and characterization of a RAPD-PCR marker for distinguishing Asian and North American gypsy moths
- DNA barcoding of gypsy moths from China (Lepidoptera: Erebidae) reveals new haplotypes and divergence patterns within gypsy moth subspecies
- Pathogenicity of two nucleopolyhedrovirus products, Virin NSh and Gypchek, for Asian and North American gypsy moth larvae
XML: View XML