Skip to Main Content
Gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) control with ground-based hydraulic applications of Gypchek, in vitro-produced virus, and Bacillus thuringiensisAuthor(s): Kevin W. Thorpe; John D. Podgwaite; James M. Slavicek; Ralph E. Webb
Source: Journal of Economic Entomology. 91(4): 875-880.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.17 MB)
DescriptionGypchek, a registered microbial insecticide for aerial and ground-based application against the gypsy moth, Lymantria dispar L., was field-tested in 1996 and 1997 at 2 doses (1011 and 1012 polyhedral inclusion bodies (PIB) per 379 liters (100 gallons) ) and with and without a sunscreen. An in vitro-produced strain of gypsy moth virus was tested in 1997 at the 1O11-PIB dose; however, the effective dose was lower because in vitro-produced PIBs contained 5-fold fewer virions than Gypchek PIBs. Treatments were applied to overstory oak, Quercus spp., trees with a truck-mounted hydraulic sprayer. Larval mortality was significantly greater, and larval density was significantly lower, on trees treated with both Cypchek and in vitro-produced virus than on untreated trees.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationThorpe, Kevin W.; Podgwaite, John D.; Slavicek, James M.; Webb, Ralph E. 1998. Gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) control with ground-based hydraulic applications of Gypchek, in vitro-produced virus, and Bacillus thuringiensis. Journal of Economic Entomology. 91(4): 875-880.
KeywordsLymantria dispar, Gypchek, gypsy moth nucleopolyhedrosis virus, in vitro-produced virus, formulations, arborist
- Dose responses of in vivo- and in vitro-produced strains of gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) nucleopolyhedrovirus (LdMNPV) applied with and without the virus enhancer Blankophor BBH
- Potency of nucleopolyhedrovirus genotypes for European and Asian gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae)
- Rating forest stands for gypsy moth defoliation
XML: View XML