Skip to Main Content
Melamine-bridged alkyl resorcinol modified urea - formaldehyde resin for bonding hardwood plywoodAuthor(s): Chung-Yun Hse; Mitsuo Higuchi
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science 116:2840-2845
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (136.83 KB)
DescriptionA powdery product was obtained by the reaction of methylolated melamine with alkyl resorcinols to form melamine-bridged alkyl resorcinols (MARs). The effects of the addition of this powder on the bonding strength and formaldehyde emission of urea–formaldehyde (UF) resins were investigated. Three types of UF resins with a formaldehyde/urea molar ratio of 1.3 synthesized by condensation at pH 1.0 (UF-1.0), pH 4.5 (UF-4.5), and pH 5.0 (UF-5.0) were fabricated. The addition of MAR to UF-4.5 and UF-5.0 for bonding hardwood plywood enhanced the bonding strength and reduced formaldehyde emission. For UF-1.0, the addition of MAR adversely affected the bonding strength. However, the UF-1.0 resin yielded the lowest formaldehyde emission of all of the UF resins in the study. The effects of the MAR addition were related to the molecular structures of the UF resins. UF-1.0 contained a large amount of free urea, a considerable number of urons, and a highly methylenelinked, ring-structured higher molecular weight fraction and had a smaller number of methylol groups. Therefore, the addition of MAR was considered to cause a shortage of the methylol groups, which in turn, led to incomplete resin curing. In contrast to UF-1.0, UF-5.0 contained a smaller amount of free urea and a linearly structured higher molecular weight fraction and had a larger number of methylol groups. In this case, MAR was considered to effectively react with the methylol groups to develop a three-dimensional crosslinked polymer network to enhance the bonding strength and suppress the generation of free formaldehyde to reduce formaldehyde emission.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHse, Chung-Yun; Higuchi, Mitsuo. 2010. Melamine-bridged alkyl resorcinol modified urea - formaldehyde resin for bonding hardwood plywood. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 116:2840-2845.
Keywordsadhesives, ageing, catalysts, mixing, NMR
- Development of melamine modified urea formaldehyde resins based o nstrong acidic pH catalyzed urea formaldehyde polymer
- Effects of reaction pH on properties and performance of urea-formaldehyde resins
- New curing system of urea-formaldehyde resind with polyhydrazides. I. Curing with dihydrazie compounds
XML: View XML