Skip to Main Content
Microwave-assisted organic acids extraction of chromate copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pineAuthor(s): Bin Yu; Chung Y. Hse; Todd F. Shupe
Source: In: The 41st Annual Meeting of the International Research Group on Wood Protection. Biarritz, France: International Research Group on Wood Protection. 1-10.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (117.62 KB)
DescriptionThe extraction effects of acid concentration, reaction time and temperature in a microwave reactor on recovery of CCA-treated wood were evaluated. Extraction of copper, chromium, and arsenic metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood samples with two different organic acids (i.e., acetic acid and oxalic acid) was investigated using a microwave reactor. Oxalic acid was effective in removing 100% of the chromium and arsenic at 160ºC and 30 min. reaction time. Acetic acid could remove 98% of the copper and arsenic at the same condition. Oxalic acid significantly improved the extraction efficiency of arsenic and chromium when time was prolonged from 10min. to 30min. The HSAB (Pearson acid base concept) concept was applied to explain why oxalic acid removed more chromium and less copper compared with acetic acid. Acetic acid also showed an improved ability to remove arsenic and copper when the reaction temperature was increased from 90ºC to 160ºC.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYu, Bin; Hse, Chung Y.; Shupe, Todd F. 2010. Microwave-assisted organic acids extraction of chromate copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine. In: The 41st Annual Meeting of the International Research Group on Wood Protection. Biarritz, France: International Research Group on Wood Protection. 1-10.
KeywordsCCA, recovery, microwave, extraction, HSAB
- Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA)-treated southern pine wood
- Rapid microwave-assisted acid extraction of southern pine waste wood to remove metals from chromated copper arsenate (CCA) treatment
- New Approach to Remove Metals from Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA)-Treated Wood
XML: View XML