Skip to Main Content
Intra-annual growth and mortality of four Populus clones in pure and mixed plantingsAuthor(s): Warren D. Devine; Constance A. Harrington; Dean S. DeBell
Source: New Forests. 39: 287-299
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.47 MB)
DescriptionIntra-annual growth rates were assessed during 3 years for four Populus clones grown in pure and mixed clonal stands at square spacings of 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 m in western Washington, USA. Height growth rate peaked in August, except at the 0.5-m spacing where it peaked in July and June in years 2 and 3, respectively. Diameter growth rate generally peaked in June. Seasonal growth patterns in mixed clonal stands, relative to those in pure clonal stands, varied by clone. Following early-season moisture stress in year 2, growth of a P. balsamifera ssp. trichocarpa clone declined significantly relative to three P. balsamifera ssp. trichocarpa x P. deltoides clones; this trend was most evident at the 0.5-m spacing. During this period of moisture stress, P. balsamifera ssp. trichocarpa had 11 and 36 percent mortality in pure and mixed stands, respectively, at the 0.5-m spacing; this clone had no mortality at wider spacings during the same period. Although height rankings among clones shifted during the first growing season, rankings at the end of year 1 were very similar to those at the end of year 3.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDevine, W.D.; Harrington, C.A.; DeBell, D.S. 2010. Intra-annual growth and mortality of four Populus clones in pure and mixed plantings. New Forests. 39: 287-299.
KeywordsPopulus, biomass, short-rotation, clonal plantation
- Adaptability of Populus to physiography and growing conditions in the southeastern USA
- Early rooting of dormant hardwood cuttings of Populus: analysis of quantitative genetics and genotype x environment interactions
- Drought effects on leaf abscission and leaf production in Populus clones
XML: View XML