Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
The wood household furniture and kitchen cabinet industries: a contrast in fortuneAuthor(s): William G. Luppold; Matthew S. Bumgardner
Source: Forest Products Journal. 59(11/12): 93-99.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.63 MB)
DescriptionIn 1977, the value of wood household furniture shipments from domestic manufacturers exceeded kitchen cabinet shipments by 170 percent; conversely, in 2006 shipments of cabinets exceeded shipments of furniture by 78 percent. The most apparent reason for the decrease in domestic furniture shipments is the increase in furniture imports, whereas cabinet demand has increased because of the popularity of larger kitchens and the robust housing market prior to 2006. However, there are less apparent factors. A large portion of domestically produced wood furniture is sold to comsumers from retail stores whose buyers ordered product at semiannual furniture markets.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William G.; Bumgardner, Matthew S. 2009. The wood household furniture and kitchen cabinet industries: a contrast in fortune. Forest Products Journal. 59(11/12): 93-99.
- Employment changes in U.S. hardwood lumber consuming industries during economic expansions and contractions since 1991
- Determinant Product and Supplier Attributes in Domestic Markets for Hardwood Lumber
- Market opportunities for kitchen cabinets made from Alaska hardwoods: a synthesis and review of recent research.
XML: View XML