Skip to Main Content
Floristic composition and potential competitors in Lindera melissifolia (Lauraceae) colonies in Mississippi with reference to hydrologic regimeAuthor(s): Tracy S Hawkins; Daniel A Skojac; Nathan M. Schiff; Theodor Leininger
Source: Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 4(1):381-390
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (3.6 MB)
DescriptionLindera melissifolia is a federally endangered shrub endemic to the southeastern United States. Hydrologic regime and floristic composition within individual L. melissifolia colonies in three disjunct populations in Mississippi were monitored for three years. Sixty-nine vascular plant species were identified growing within L. melissifolia colonies. Although number of flooding events and flood duration varied among the three populations, floristic composition and the ratio of L. melissifolia to other plants in the colonies remained relatively constant during the study period. In Mississippi, Smilax spp. and Vitis spp. have the greatest potential to become strong competitors of L. melissifolia.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHawkins, Tracy S; Skojac, Daniel A, Jr.; Schiff, Nathan M.; Leininger, Theodor D. 2010. Floristic composition and potential competitors in Lindera melissifolia (Lauraceae) colonies in Mississippi with reference to hydrologic regime. Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 4(1):381-390.
- Bottomland Forests in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley associated with the endangered Lindera melissifolia
- The endangered pondberry (Lindera melissifolia [Walt] Blume, Lauraceae)
- Growth and intraspecific competitive abilities of the dioecious Lindera melissifolia (Lauraceae) in varied flooding regimes
XML: View XML