Skip to Main Content
International trends in forest products consumption: is there convergence?Author(s): Joseph Buongiorno
Source: Journal International Forestry Review 11(4):36-46
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (551.07 KB)
DescriptionInternational data from 1961 to 2005 showed that the coefficient of variation of consumption per- capita across countries had tended to decrease over time for all forest products except sawnwood. This convergence of per-capita consumption was confirmed by the trends in Theil's inequality coefficients: the distribution of forest products consumption across countries had become more similar to the distribution of population. The rate of convergence had tended to accelerate during the last 10 years of observation: countries had become more similar in their use of all forest products except sawnwood. The rate of convergence was most rapid for fiberboard, veneer and plywood, and paper and paper board excluding newsprint and other printing and writing paper. The convergence of per-capita consumption of forest products stemmed in large part from lower rates of growth of consumption at higher levels of per-capita consumption, and not from a convergence of per-capita income.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBuongiorno, Joseph. 2009. International trends in forest products consumption: is there convergence? Journal International Forestry Review 11(4):36-46.
Keywordswood products, consumption, utilization, statistics
- U.S. Timber Production, Trade, Consumption, and Price Statistics, 1965-2013
- U.S. Timber Production, Trade, Consumption and Price Statistics 1965-2011
- Criterion 6, indicator 28 : total and per capita consumption of wood and wood products in round wood equivalents
XML: View XML