Skip to Main Content
Golden eagle indifference to heli-skiing and military helicopters in northern UtahAuthor(s): Teryl G. Grubb; David K. Delaney; William W. Bowerman; Michael R. Wierda
Source: Journal of Wildlife Management. 74(6): 1275-1285.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.56 MB)
DescriptionIn 2006-2007, during Wasatch Powderbird Guides (WPG) permit renewal for heli-skiing in the Tri-Canyon Area (TCA) of the Wasatch Mountains, Utah, USA, we recorded 303 helicopter passes between 0 m and 3,000 m (horizontal distance) near >30 individual golden eagles (Aquila chrysaetos) in 22 nesting territories, through passive observation and active experimentation with civilian and military (Apache AH-64) helicopters. Flight profiles included 800-m, 400-m, 200-m, and 100-m flybys (horizontal distance from cliff nest on parallel course), as well as approaches and popouts where helicopters flew toward, or popped out from behind, adult-occupied cliff nests (0 m, horizontal distance). Between 1981 and 2007, during the only 8 years when nesting in the TCA was confirmed by presence of chicks, WPG annually flew 108-2,836 helicopter flights in the same drainages on 10-37 days between 15 December and 15 April, with no effect on early courtship, nest repair, or subsequent nesting success.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K.; Bowerman, William W.; Wierda, Michael R. 2010. Golden eagle indifference to heli-skiing and military helicopters in northern Utah. Journal of Wildlife Management. 74(6): 1275-1285.
Keywordsaircraft, buffers, golden eagle, helicopter, heli-skiing, human disturbance, management, military, noise, recreation
- Soil carbon pools and fluxes in urban ecosystems
- Ozone, nitric acid, and ammonia air pollution is unhealthy for people and ecosystems in southern Sierra Nevada, California
- Individual- and scattered-tree influences on ultraviolet irradiance
XML: View XML