Skip to Main Content
A visual training tool for the Photoload sampling techniqueAuthor(s): Violet J. Holley; Robert E. Keane
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-242. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 235 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (50.89 MB)
DescriptionThis visual training aid is designed to provide Photoload users a tool to increase the accuracy of fuel loading estimations when using the Photoload technique. The Photoload Sampling Technique (RMRS-GTR-190) provides fire managers a sampling method for obtaining consistent, accurate, inexpensive, and quick estimates of fuel loading. It is designed to require only one hour of training, but the accuracy of the estimates can be increased with additional training and visual calibration. This training tool is designed to help users estimate loadings of the six common surface fuel components used in the Photoload method (1 hr, 10 hr, 100 hr, and 1000 hr downed, dead woody fuels and live and dead shrubs and herbaceous fuels). Users estimate the loadings of the fuels in the photographs in this document using the Photoload sampling technique and then compare their estimates to the actual loadings that are given on the page following each photograph. Each photograph set contains a photograph of the fuelbed, a photograph of the stand, and a table of laboratory measured loadings. The photographed fuelbeds are in both natural and disturbed sites.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHolley, Violet J.; Keane, Robert E. 2010. A visual training tool for the Photoload sampling technique. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-242. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 235 p.
Keywordsfuel load loading, fuel sampling, fuelbeds, photographs, wildland fire
- The photoload sampling technique: estimating surface fuel loadings from downward-looking photographs of synthetic fuelbeds
- Creating photographic loading sequences in the field for the photoload sampling technique
- Development and evaluation of the photoload sampling technique
XML: View XML