Skip to Main Content
Failure to phytosanitize ash firewood infested with emerald ash borer in a small dry kiln using ISPM-15 standardsAuthor(s): P. Charles Goebel; Matthew S. Bumgardner; Daniel A. Herms; Andrew Sabula
Source: Journal of Economic Entomology. 103(3): 597-602.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (176.11 KB)
DescriptionAlthough current USDA-APHIS standards suggest that a core temperature of 71.1°C (160°F) for 75 min is needed to adequately sanitize emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire-infested firewood, it is unclear whether more moderate (and economical) treatment regimes will adequately eradicate emerald ash borer larvae and prepupae from ash firewood. We constructed a small dry kiln in an effort to emulate the type of technology a small- to medium-sized firewood producer might use to examine whether treatments with lower temperature and time regimes successfully eliminate emerald ash borer from both spilt and roundwood firewood. Using white ash (Fraxinus americana L.) firewood collected from a stand with a heavy infestation of emerald ash borer in Delaware, OH, we treated the firewood using the following temperature and time regime: 46°C (114.8°F) for 30 min, 46°C (114.8°F) for 60 min, 56°C 132.8°F) for 30 min, and 56°C (132.8°F) for 60 min. Temperatures were recorded for the outer 2.54-cm (1-in.) of firewood.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGoebel, P. Charles; Bumgardner, Matthew S.; Herms, Daniel A.; Sabula, Andrew. 2010. Failure to ohytosanitize ash firewood infested with emerald ash borer in a small dry kiln using ISPM-15 standards. Journal of Economic Entomology. 103(3): 597-602.
Keywordsemerald ash borer, phytosanitation, pest quarantines, regulatory compliance, firewood
- Ashes to ashes: Large Fraxinus germplasm collections and their fates
- Chapter 13 - Searching high and low: Patterns of White Ash health across topographic gradients in the Allegheny region (Project NE-EM-09-02)
- Genetic transformation of Fraxinus spp. for resistance to the emerald ash borer
XML: View XML