Skip to Main Content
A synthesis of five nationwide studies: perceptions of law enforcement and investigations in the USDA Forest ServiceAuthor(s): Deborah J. Chavez; Joanne F. Tynon
Source: Res. Pap. PSW-RP-260. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 19 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.76 MB)
DescriptionThis is the synthesis of a series of studies to evaluate perceptions of U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service (USFS) law enforcement and investigations (LEI). Five groups were evaluated: four groups of employees from different positions within LEI, and a group of customers of LEI, the line officers of the National Forest System (NFS). The groups responded to questions within 10 topic areas: demographics, area of responsibility, enforcement level and cooperation, roles, existing issues, priorities, customers, natural resources, success stories, and successful LEI program. There were more similarities among the groups than dissimilarities. In fact, there were similar responses among all groups to questions within each of the 10 major topic areas. There were also dissimilarities found between LEI groups and NFS line officers as well as dissimilarities within LEI groups. Findings from these studies suggest LEI and NFS have the opportunity to strengthen the law enforcement program in the USFS. By highlighting areas of similarity between the groups and building further consensus based on that beginning, they can also examine existing differences and work toward understanding the position each group has on those areas.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChavez, Deborah J.; Tynon, Joanne F. 2009. A synthesis of five nationwide studies: perceptions of law enforcement and investigations in the USDA Forest Service. Res. Pap. PSW-RP-260. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 19 p.
KeywordsCrime and violence, law enforcement, forest visitors, successful management
- Forest Service National Forest System perceptions of law enforcement and investigations: nationwide study
- Law enforcement officers in the USDA forest service
- Crime in woods: role of law enforcement officers in national forests
XML: View XML