Skip to Main Content
Pretreatment of woody biomass for biofuel production: energy efficiency, technologies, and recalcitranceAuthor(s): J.Y. Zhu; Xuejun Pan; Ronald S. Jr. Zalesny
Source: Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 87: 847-857.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (218.13 KB)
DescriptionThis mini review discusses several key technical issues associated with cellulosic ethanol production from woody biomass: energy consumption for woody biomass pretreatment, pretreatment energy efficiency, woody biomass pretreatment technologies, and quantification of woody biomass recalcitrance. Both total sugar yield and pretreatment energy efficiency, defined as the total sugar recovery divided by total energy consumption for pretreatment, should be used to evaluate the performance of a pretreatment process. A post-chemical pretreatment wood size-reduction approach was proposed to significantly reduce energy consumption. The review also emphasizes using a low liquid-to-wood ratio (L/W) to reduce thermal energy consumption for any thermochemical/physical pretreatment in addition to reducing pretreatment temperature.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhu, J.Y.; Pan, Xuejun; Zalesny, Ronald S. Jr. 2010. Pretreatment of woody biomass for biofuel production: energy efficiency, technologies, and recalcitrance. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 87: 847-857.
Keywordsrecalcitrance, cellulosic ethanol, woody/forest biomass, SPORL, enzymatic hydrolysis/saccharification, pretreatment
- Woody biomass pretreatment for cellulosic ethanol production : technology and energy consumption evaluation
- Novel micronized woody biomass process for production of cost-effective clean fermentable sugars
- Physical pretreatment – woody biomass size reduction – for forest biorefinery
XML: View XML