Skip to Main Content
Storm intensity and old-growth forest disturbances in the Amazon regionAuthor(s): F.D.B. Espírito-Santo; M. Keller; B. Braswell; B.W. Nelson; S. Frolking; G. Vicente
Source: Geophysical Research Letters. 37, L11403, doi:10.1029/2010GL043146
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Download Publication (377.13 KB)
DescriptionWe analyzed the pattern of large forest disturbances or blow‐downs apparently caused by severe storms in a mostly unmanaged portion of the Brazilian Amazon using 27 Landsat images and daily precipitation estimates from NOAA satellite data. For each Landsat a spectral mixture analysis (SMA) was applied. Based on SMA, we detected and mapped 279 patches (from 5 ha to 2,223 ha) characteristic of blow‐downs. A total of 21,931 ha of forest were disturbed. We found a strong correlation between occurrence of blow‐downs and frequency of heavy rainfall (Spearman’s rank, r2 = 0.84, p < 0.0003). The recurrence intervals of large disturbances were estimated to be 90,000 yr for the eastern Amazon and 27,000 yr for the western Amazon. This suggests that weather patterns affect the frequency of large forest disturbances that may produce different rates of forest turnover in the eastern and western Amazon basin.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEspírito-Santo, F.D.B.; Keller, M.; Braswell, B.; Nelson, B.W.; Frolking, S.; Vicente, G. 2010. Storm intensity and old-growth forest disturbances in the Amazon region. Geophysical Research Letters. 37, L11403, doi:10.1029/2010GL043146
Keywordsnatural disturbance, Amazon, Landsat, precipitation, storms
- Size and frequency of natural forest disturbances and the Amazon forest carbon balance
- Monitoring forest infestation and fire disturbance in the Southern Appalachian using a times series analysis of Landsat imagery
- Amazon Forest Structure from IKONOS Satellite Data and the Automated Characterization of Forest Canopy Properties
XML: View XML