Skip to Main Content
Phytophthora species in forest streams in Oregon and AlaskaAuthor(s): Paul Reeser; Everett M. Hansen; Wendy Sutton; Philippe Remigi; Gerard Adams
Source: Mycologia 2010 0: 10-013
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (738.43 KB)
DescriptionEighteen Phytophthora species and one species of Halophytophthora were identified in 113 forest streams in Alaska, western Oregon, and southwestern Oregon that were sampled by baiting or filtration of stream water with isolation on selective media. Species were identified by morphology and DNA characterization using single strand conformational polymorphism, COX spacer sequence, and ITS sequence. ITS Clade 6 species were most abundant overall, but only four species, P. gonapodyides (37% of all isolates), P. taxon Salixsoil, P. taxon Oaksoil, and P. pseudosyringae, were found in all three regions. The species assemblages were similar in the two Oregon regions, but P. taxon Pgchlamydo was absent in Alaska and one new species present in Alaska was absent in the Oregon streams. The number of Phytophthora propagules in Oregon streams varied by season and in SW Oregon, where sampling continued year round, P. taxon Salixsoil, P. nemorosa and P. siskiyouensis were only recovered in some seasons.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationReeser, Paul ; Wendy Sutton, Everett M. Hansen, Philippe Remigi and Gerard C. Adams. 2010. Phytophthora species in forest streams in Oregon and Alaska. Mycologia 2010 0: 10-013 .doi: 10.3852/10-013
Keywordsspecies diversity, population dynamics, P. megasperma, P. cactorum, P. cambivora, P. pini, P. plurivora, P. europaea, P. syringae, P. ramorum
- Rhododendron leaf baiting of coastal California watersheds for Phytophthora
- Phytophthora species in tanoak trees, canopy-drip, soil, and streams in the sudden oak death epidemic area of south-western Oregon, USA
- Distribution and severity of alder phytophthora in Alaska
XML: View XML