Skip to Main Content
Evaluating the national land cover database tree canopy and impervious cover estimates across the conterminous United States: a comparison with photo-interpreted estimatesAuthor(s): David J. Nowak; Eric J. Greenfield
Source: Environmental Management. 46(3): 378-390.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (347.97 KB)
DescriptionThe 2001 National Land Cover Database (NLCD) provides 30-m resolution estimates of percentage tree canopy and percentage impervious cover for the conterminous United States. Previous estimates that compared NLCD tree canopy and impervious cover estimates with photo-interpreted cover estimates within selected counties and places revealed that NLCD underestimates tree and impervious cover. Based on these previous results, a wall-to-wall comprehensive national analysis was conducted to determine if and how NLCD derived estimates of tree and impervious cover varies from photo-interpreted values across the conterminous United States.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNowak, David J.; Greenfield, Eric J. 2010. Evaluating the national land cover database tree canopy and impervious cover estimates across the conterminous United States: a comparison with photo-interpreted estimates. Environmental Management. 46(3): 378-390.
Keywordsnational cover maps, photo-interpretation, tree canopy cover, impervious cover
- Assessment of 2001 NLCD percent tree and impervious cover estimates
- Difficulties with estimating city-wide urban forest cover change from national, remotely-sensed tree canopy maps
- Tree and impervious cover in the United States
XML: View XML