Skip to Main Content
Critical length sampling: a method to estimate the volume of downed coarse woody debrisAuthor(s): Göran Ståhl; Jeffrey H. Gove; Michael S. Williams; Mark J. Ducey
Source: European Journal of Forest Research. 129: 993-1000.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (359.34 KB)
DescriptionIn this paper, critical length sampling for estimating the volume of downed coarse woody debris is presented. Using this method, the volume of downed wood in a stand can be estimated by summing the critical lengths of down logs included in a sample obtained using a relascope or wedge prism; typically, the instrument should be tilted 90° from its usual orientation in sampling live trees. The critical length of a downed tree is the length of the log section large enough in diameter to be counted from the selected sample point. A simulation study was conducted to compare critical length sampling with diameter relascope sampling and perpendicular distance sampling.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStahl, Goran; Gove, Jeffrey H.; Williams, Michael S.; Ducey, Mark J. 2010. Critical length sampling: a method to estimate the volume of downed coarse woody debris. European Journal of Forest Research. 129: 993-1000.
Keywordscritical height sampling, dead wood, forest inventory, relascope sampling, simulation
- Correction for slope in point and transect relascope sampling of downed coarse woody debris
- Critical point relascope sampling for unbiased volume estimation of downed coarse woody debris
- Multistage point relascope and randomized branch sampling for downed coarse woody debris estimation
XML: View XML