Skip to Main Content
Histiostoma Blomquisti N. SP. (Acari: Histiostomatidae) A phoretic mite of the red imported ant, Solenopsis Invicta Buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae).Author(s): Stefan Wirth; John Moser
Source: Acarologia 50(3):357-371
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.55 MB)
DescriptionThe new species Histiostoma bJol1lquisti n. sp., associated with the Red Imported Fire Ant, Solenopsis invicta, is described by its deutonymph. A putative adult female is depicted. The deutonymphs only attach to female alates, dealates and queens of S. invicta. While queens may be covered by more than 200 deutonymphs over their entire bodies, the numbers of deutonymphs substantially differed between alates, dealates and queens, which are the preferred carriers, and the males and workers, which are usually not the phoretic hosts of these deutonymphs. It is assumed that the large amount of deutonymphs on queens may be a consequence of special conditions during nest foundings of monogyne colonies. Presence of deutonymphs apparently stimulates the cleaning behavior in workers; however deutonymphs are not removed during this procedure. This may be a consequence of chemical components produced in the opisthonotal glands of astigmatid mites that allow the mite to repel cleaning workers and remain strongly adhered to its carrier. It is unknown whether or not these mites affect the vitality of fire ant colonies.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWirth, S.; Moser, John C. 2010 Histiostoma Blomquisti N. SP. (Acari: Histiostomatidae) A phoretic mite of the red imported ant, Solenopsis Invicta Buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Acarologia 50(3):357-371.
KeywordsSolenopsis invicta, Red Imported Fire Ant, Histiostoma blomquisti n. sp., alates, dealates, queens, deutonymphs, cleaning behavior, opisthonotal glands, lateral oil glands, Histeostomatidae, Astigmata, allomones
- Phoretic Arthropods of the Red Imported Fire Ant in Central Louisiana.
- Two new species of mites of the genera Petalomium Cross and Caesarodispus Mahunka (acari: Heterostigmata:Neopygmephoridae, Microdispidae) associated with Solenopsis Invicta Buren (hymenoptera: Formicdae) from the U.S.A.
- Gaeolaelaps Invictianus, a new and unusual species of Hypoaspidine Mite (Acari: Mesostigmata: Laelapidae) phoretic on the red imported fire ant Solenopsis Invicta Buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in Louisiana, USA
XML: View XML