Skip to Main Content
Estimation of census and effective population sizes: the increasing usefulness of DNA-based approachesAuthor(s): Gordon Luikart; Nils Ryman; David A. Tallmon; Michael K. Schwartz; Fred W. Allendorf
Source: Conservation Genetics. 11: 355-373.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (460.2 KB)
DescriptionPopulation census size (NC) and effective population sizes (Ne) are two crucial parameters that influence population viability, wildlife management decisions, and conservation planning. Genetic estimators of both NC and Ne are increasingly widely used because molecular markers are increasingly available, statistical methods are improving rapidly, and genetic estimators complement or improve upon traditional demographic estimators. We review the kinds and applications of estimators of both NC and Ne, and the often undervalued and misunderstood ratio of effective-to-census size (Ne/NC). We focus on recently improved and well evaluated methods that are most likely to facilitate conservation. Finally, we outline areas of future research to improve Ne and NC estimation in wild populations.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuikart, Gordon; Ryman, Nils; Tallmon, David A.; Schwartz, Michael K.; Allendorf, Fred W. 2010. Estimation of census and effective population sizes: the increasing usefulness of DNA-based approaches. Conservation Genetics. 11: 355-373.
Keywordspopulation size estimation, noninvasive sampling, remote genetic monitoring, abundance, bottleneck, Ne/NC ratio, habitat fragmentation
- Spatially-explicit estimation of Wright's neighborhood size in continuous populations
- Effective population size and genetic conservation criteria for bull trout
- Sampling strategies for estimating brook trout effective population size
XML: View XML