Skip to Main Content
Improving wilderness stewardship through searchable databases of U.S. legislative history and legislated special provisionsAuthor(s): David R. Craig; Peter Landres; Laurie Yung
Source: International Journal of Wilderness 16(2): 27-31.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (90.68 KB)
DescriptionThe online resource Wilderness.net currently provides quick access to the text of every public law designating wilderness in the U.S. National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS). This article describes two new searchable databases recently completed and added to the information available on Wilderness.net to help wilderness managers and others understand and interpret these laws. The first database provides access to a legislative history library and reference guide, and the second database provides access to legislated special provisions. Each database is described below in terms of how it may be used to inform decisions concerning wilderness stewardship, along with basic information about organization and content. We conclude with a brief discussion of research questions that may be more readily explored now that these databases are available.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCraig, David R.; Landres, Peter; Yung, Laurie. 2010. Improving wilderness stewardship through searchable databases of U.S. legislative history and legislated special provisions. International Journal of Wilderness 16(2): 27-31.
Keywordswilderness stewardship, searchable databases, public law, legislative history, legislated special provisions
- Legislative interpretation as a guiding tool for wilderness management
- The matrix: A comparison of international wilderness laws
- National Wilderness Preservation System database: key attributes and trends, 1964 through 1999
XML: View XML