Skip to Main Content
Phylogenetic relationships of the Gomphales based on nuc-25S-rDNA, mit-12S-rDNA, and mit-atp6-DNA combined sequencesAuthor(s): Admir J. Giachini; Kentaro Hosaka; Eduardo Nouhra; Joseph Spatafora; James M. Trappe
Source: British Mycological Society. 114: 224-234
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.87 MB)
DescriptionPhylogenetic relationships among Geastrales, Gomphales, Hysterangiales, and Phallales were estimated via combined sequences: nuclear large subunit ribosomal DNA (nuc-25S-rDNA), mitochondrial small subunit ribosomal DNA (mit-12S-rDNA), and mitochondrial atp6 DNA (mit-atp6-DNA). Eighty-one taxa comprising 19 genera and 58 species were investigated, including members of the Clathraceae, Gautieriaceae, Geastraceae, Gomphaceae, Hysterangiaceae, Phallaceae, Protophallaceae, and Sphaerobolaceae. Although some nodes deep in the tree could not be fully resolved, some well-supported lineages were recovered, and the interrelationships among Gloeocantharellus, Gomphus, Phaeoclavulina, and TurbinelIus, and the placement of Ramaria are better understood. The results reaffirm relationships between the Geastrales, Gomphales, Hysterangiales, and the Phallales, suggesting extensive convergence in basidiomal morphology among members of these groups. A more extensive sampling that focuses on other loci (protein-coding genes have been shown to be phylogenetically informative) may be useful to answer questions about evolutionary relationships among these fungal groups.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGiachini, Admir J.; Hosaka, Kentaro; Nouhra, Eduardo; Spatafora, Joseph; Trappe, James M. 2010. Phylogenetic relationships of the Gomphales based on nuc-25S-rDNA, mit-12S-rDNA, and mit-atp6-DNA combined sequences. British Mycological Society. 114: 224-234.
Keywordsatp6, Gomphales, Homobasidiomycetes, rDNA, systematics
- Intragenomic variation in the ITS rDNA region obscures phylogenetic relationships and inflates estimates of operational taxonomic units in genus Laetiporus
- Molecular phylogeny of Laetiporus and other brown rot polypore genera in North America
- Characterization of North American Armillaria species: Genetic relationships determined by ribosomal DNA sequences and AFLP markers
XML: View XML