Skip to Main Content
Volume equations for the Northern Research Station's Forest Inventory and Analysis Program as of 2010Author(s): Patrick D. Miles; Andrew D. Hill
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-74. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 50 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (339.0 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program collects sample plot data on all forest ownerships across the United States. This report documents the methodology used to estimate live-tree gross, net, and sound volume for the 24 States inventoried by the Northern Research Station's (NRS) FIA unit. Sound volume is of particular interest because it is used in live-tree biomass and carbon estimates. NRS currently uses four volume equations for each of four geographic regions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiles, Patrick D.; Hill, Andrew D. 2010. Volume equations for the Northern Research Station's Forest Inventory and Analysis Program as of 2010. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-74. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 50 p.
Keywordswood volume, mensuration, sound volume, biomass
- Kansas' forest resources, 2005
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016
- Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010
XML: View XML