Skip to Main Content
Size-associated morphological variation in the red tree vole (Arborimus longicaudus)Author(s): Mark P. Miller; Eric D. Forsman; James K. Swingle; Stephanie A. Miller; Susan M. Haig
Source: Northwestern Naturalist. 91: 63-73
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.33 MB)
DescriptionWe examined patterns of size-associated morphological variation within the Red Tree Vole (Arborimus longicaudus) for the purposes of 1) identifying differences between the Red Tree Vole and the Dusky Tree Vole (A. l. silvicola), a putative subspecies of the Red Tree Vole; and 2) examining spatial patterns of morphological variation across the species' range. Our results illustrate subtle, but significant, morphological differences across the boundary that has been proposed to delimit the ranges of the Dusky Tree Vole and Red Tree Vole. However, the morphological characters examined have virtually no diagnostic utility for distinguishing between subspecies. We also performed a series of linear regressions that revealed correlations between morphological variation and latitude. Ultimately, these findings indicated that morphological variation in Red Tree Voles is in good agreement with Bergmann's Rule and Allen's Rule, two well-established ecographic principles that dictate relationships between environmental temperatures and morphological attributes. Because our analyses do not demonstrate strong differences between tree vole subspecies, we encourage future analyses of variation in pelage coloration and genetic structure to unequivocally determine the Dusky Tree Vole's status.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Mark P.; Forsman, Eric D.; Swingle, James K.; Miller, Stephanie A.; Haig, Susan M. 2010. Size-associated morphological variation in the red tree vole (Arborimus longicaudus). Northwestern Naturalist. 91: 63-73.
KeywordsAllen's Rule, Arborimus longicaudus, Arborimus longicaudus silvicola, Bergmann's Rule, Dusky Tree Vole, latitude, morphology, Oregon Red Tree Vole, subspecies
- Annotated bibliography of the red tree vole (Arborimus longicaudus), Sonoma tree vole (A. pomo), and white-footed vole (A. albipes).
- Patterns of red tree vole distribution and habitat suitability: implications for surveys and conservation planning
- Field guide to red tree vole nests
XML: View XML