Skip to Main Content
Assessing ecoregional-scale habitat suitability index models for priority landbirdsAuthor(s): John M. Tirpak; D. Todd Jones-Farrand; Frank R. Thompson; Daniel J. Twedt; Charles K. Baxter; Jane A. Fitzgerald; William B. Uihlein
Source: Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(8): 1307-1315.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (348.11 KB)
DescriptionEmerging methods in habitat and wildlife population modeling promise new horizons in conservation but only if these methods provide robust population-habitat linkages. We used Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) data to verify and validate newly developed habitat suitability index (HSI) models for 40 priority landbird species in the Central Hardwoods and West Gulf Coastal Plain/Ouachitas Bird Conservation Regions. We considered a species' HSI model verified if there was a significant rank correlation between mean predicted HSI score and mean observed BBS abundance across the 88 ecological subsections within these Bird Conservation Regions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationTirpak, John M.; Jones-Farrand, D. Todd; Thompson, Frank R., III; Twedt, Daniel J.; Baxter, Charles K.; Fitzgerald, Jane A.; Uihlein, William B., III. 2009. Assessing ecoregional-scale habitat suitability index models for priority landbirds. Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(8): 1307-1315.
KeywordsBreeding Bird Survey, Central Hardwoods, ecoregion, Forest Inventory and Analysis, Habitat Suitability Index, landbird, National Land Cover Dataset, validation, verification, West Gulf Coastal Plain/Ouachitas
- Multiscale habitat suitability index models for priority landbirds in the Central Hardwoods and West Gulf Coastal Plain/Ouachitas Bird Conservation Regions
- Developing Spatially Explicit Habitat Models for Grassland Bird Conservation Planning in the Prairie Pothole Region of North Dakota
- A decision support tool for setting population objectives for priority landbirds in the Central Hardwoods and West Gulf Coastal Plain/Quachitas Bird Conservation Regions
XML: View XML