Skip to Main Content
Taxonomic identity of a galling adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) from three spruce species in central JapanAuthor(s): Masakazu Sano; Nathan P. Havill; Kenichi Ozaki
Source: Entomological Science. 14: 94-99.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (400.07 KB)
DescriptionGall-forming insects are commonly highly host-specific, and galling species once thought to be oligo- or polyphagous are often found to represent a complex of host-specific races or cryptic species. A recent DNA barcoding study documented that an unidentified species of the genus Adelges is a gall-former associated with four spruce species (Picea bicolor, P. koyamai, P. maximowiczii, P. polita) as the primary hosts, with little genetic differentiation among insects on different host species. In this study, we investigated the morphology of this galling adelgid to determine its taxonomic identity. Morphological inspection of insects collected from three of the spruce species confirmed that this adelgid is a single galling species, and is identified as Adelges (Sacchiphantes) kitamiensis, which was previously known only from the secondary host.We described the gallicola adults of this species, as well as the first-instar exules which are the offspring of gallicolae. Finally, we verified the taxonomic identity of this species and discuss its life cycle and host distribution.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSano, Masakazu; Havill, Nathan P.; Ozaki, Kenichi. 2011. Taxonomic identity of a galling adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) from three spruce species in central Japan. Entomological Science. 14: 94-99.
KeywordsAdelges, host alternation, Larix, Picea, Sacchiphantes kitamiensis
- Phenology and Synchrony of Scymnus coniferarum (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) with Multiple Adelgid Species in the Puget Sound, WA, USA
- Resistance to galling adelgids varies among families of Engelmann spruce (Picea engelmani P.)
- Predators collected from balsam woolly adelgid and Cooley spruce gall adelgid in western Oregon and Washington, U.S.A., with reference to biological control of hemlock woolly adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae)
XML: View XML