Skip to Main Content
Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphasis on USDA Forest Service ownershipAuthor(s): Linda S. Heath; James E. Smith; Christopher W. Woodall; David L. Azuma; Karen L. Waddell
Source: Ecosphere. 2(1): article 6. 21 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.97 MB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service (USFS) manages one-fifth of the area of forestland in the United States. The Forest Service Roadmap for responding to climate change identified assessing and managing carbon stocks and change as a major element of its plan. This study presents methods and results of estimating current forest carbon stocks and change in the United States for public and private owners, consistent with the official 2010 U.S. greenhouse gas inventory, but with improved data sources for three states. Results are presented by National Forest System region, a major organizational management unit within the Forest Service, and by individual national forest.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeath, Linda S.; Smith, James E.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Azuma, David L.; Waddell, Karen L. 2011. Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphasis on USDA Forest Service ownership. Ecosphere. 2(1): article 6.
Keywordscarbon density, carbon in HWP, forest carbon accounting, Forest Inventory and Analysis, greenhouse gas inventory, National Forest System, uncertainty analysis
- Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphaisis on USDA Forest Service ownership
- Toward inventory-based estimates of soil organic carbon in forests of the United States
- The climate change performance scorecard and carbon estimates for national forest
XML: View XML