Skip to Main Content
The national public's values and interests related to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: A computer content analysisAuthor(s): David N. Bengston; David P. Fan; Roger Kaye
Source: International Journal of Wilderness. 16(3): 13-20.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (186.59 KB)
DescriptionThis study examined the national public's values and interests related to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Computer content analysis was used to analyze more than 23,000 media stories about the refuge from 1995 through 2007. Ten main categories of Arctic National Wildlife Refuge values and interests emerged from the analysis, reflecting a diversity of values, tangible and intangible, for the national public. The findings suggest that the national public's interest in the Arctic Refuge focuses on protecting the area's wildlife and perpetuating their encompassing natural, ecological processes.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBengston, David N.; Fan, David P.; Kaye, Roger. 2010. The national public's values and interests related to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: A computer content analysis. International Journal of Wilderness. 16(3): 13-20.
- The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: an exploration of the meanings embodied in America's last great wilderness
- Low-altitude photographic transects of the Arctic network of national park units and Selawik National Wildlife Refuge, Alaska, July 2013
- National Wildlife Refuges: Portals to conservation
XML: View XML