Skip to Main Content
Fundamental characteristics of microwave explosion pretreatment of wood. I, Properties of temperature developmentAuthor(s): Xian-jun Li; Ke-yang Lu; Lan-ying Lin; Yong-dong Zhou; Zhi-yong Cai; Feng Fu
Source: Forestry studies in China. Vol. 12, no. 1 (Mar. 2010): p. 9-13.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
View PDF (385.17 KB)
DescriptionIn this study, the effects of microwave radiation intensity, radiation time and initial wood moisture content (MC) on the properties of temperature development in Eucalyptus urophylla wood samples during the microwave explosion pretreatment have been investigated using a new microwave pretreatment equipment. The results show that 1) with the increase of microwave radiation intensity and a decrease in initial wood MC, both the average temperature and its rate of increase in wood rise rapidly; 2) with an increase in microwave radiation time, the average temperature of wood clearly increases, while the rate of increase in temperature shows a decline. In the microwave explosion pretreatment, the temperature development curve presented two patterns of variation: i) a sharp increase in temperature − a constant temperature − a slow warm-up and ii) a sharp increase in temperature − a rapid decline in temperature − a slow warm-up.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Xian-jun; Lu, Ke-yang; Lin, Lan-ying; Zhou, Yong-dong; Cai, Zhi-yong; Fu, Feng. 2010. Fundamental characteristics of microwave explosion pretreatment of wood. I, Properties of temperature development. Forestry studies in China. Vol. 12, no. 1 (Mar. 2010): p. 9-13.
KeywordsMicrowave drying, microwave heating, drying, pretreatment, temperature, Eucalyptus urophylla, Eucalyptus, moisture, wood moisture, heat treatment, pressure, microwave explosion, moisture content, modified wood, steam pressure
- A single cell model for pretreatment of wood by microwave explosion
- Ongoing molecular studies of Eucalyptus powdery mildew in Brazil
- Proceedings of a workshop on Eucalyptus in California; June 14-16, 1983; Sacramento, California
XML: View XML