Skip to Main Content
Stepwise oxygenations of toluene and 4-nitrotoluene by a fungal peroxygenaseAuthor(s): Matthias Kinne; Christian Zeisig; Rene Ullrich; Gernot Kayser; Kenneth E. Hammel; Martin Hofrichter
Source: Biochemical and biophysical research communications. Vol. 397, no. 1 (June 18, 2010): p. 18-21.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Download Publication (282.28 KB)
DescriptionFungal peroxygenases have recently been shown to catalyze remarkable oxidation reactions. The present study addresses the mechanism of benzylic oxygenations catalyzed by the extracellular peroxygenase of the argic basidiomycete Agrocybe aegerita. The peroxygenase oxidized toluene and 4-nitrotoluene via the corresponding alcohols and aldehydes to give benzoic acids. The reactions proceeded stepwise with total conversions of 93% for toluene and 12% for 4-nitrotoluene. Using H218O2 as the co-substrate, we show here that H2O2 is the source of the oxygen introduced at each reaction step. A. aegerita peroxygenase resembles cytochromes P450 and heme chloroperoxidase in catalyzing benzylic hydroxylations.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKinne, Matthias; Zeisig, Christian; Ullrich, Rene; Kayser, Gernot; Hammel, Kenneth E.; Hofrichter, Martin. 2010. Stepwise oxygenations of toluene and 4-nitrotoluene by a fungal peroxygenase. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. Vol. 397, no. 1 (June 18, 2010): p. 18-21.
KeywordsWood-decaying fungi, biodegradation, oxidation, chemical reactions, hydrogen peroxide, enzymes, biotechnology, industrial applications, Basidiomycetes, catalysis, fungi, oxygenases, peroxidase, toluene, benzaldehyde, alcohol, aldehydes, benzoic acid, hydroxylation, Agrocybe cylindracea, peroxygenase, decay fungi, wood decay, 4-nitrotoluene, P-450, benzylic hydroxylation
- Oxidative cleavage of diverse ethers by an extracellular fungal peroxygenase
- Regioselective preparation of (R)-2-(4-hydroxyphenoxy)propionic acid with a fungal peroxygenase
- Regioselective preparation of 5-hydroxypropranolol and 4´-hydroxydiclofenac with a fungal peroxygenase
XML: View XML