Skip to Main Content
How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for surface and crown fire behaviorAuthor(s): Patricia L. Andrews; Faith Ann Heinsch; Luke Schelvan
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-253. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 40 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (4.53 MB)
DescriptionA fire characteristics chart is a graph that presents primary related fire behavior characteristics-rate of spread, flame length, fireline intensity, and heat per unit area. It helps communicate and interpret modeled or observed fire behavior. The Fire Characteristics Chart computer program plots either observed fire behavior or values that have been calculated by another computer program such as the BehavePlus fire modeling system. Program operation is described in this report, and its flexibility in format, color, and labeling is demonstrated for use in a variety of reports. A chart produced by the program is suitable for inclusion in briefings, reports, and presentations. Example applications are given for fire model understanding, observed crown fire behavior, ignition pattern effect on fire behavior, prescribed fire planning, briefings, and case studies. The mathematical foundation for the charts is also described. Separate charts are available for surface fire and crown fire because of differences in the flame length model used for each.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAndrews, Patricia L.; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Schelvan, Luke. 2011. How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for surface and crown fire behavior. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-253. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 40 p.
Keywordswildland fire, fire behavior, fire modeling, fire spread, fire intensity, computer program
- Fire characteristics charts for fire behavior and U.S. fire danger rating
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for the U.S. fire danger rating system
- Charts for interpreting wildland fire behavior characteristics
XML: View XML