Skip to Main Content
Indiana's Forests 2008Author(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Mark N. Webb; Barry T. Wilson; Jeff Settle; Ron J. Piva; Charles H. Perry; Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Susan J. Crocker; Brett J. Butler; Mark Hansen; Mark Hatfield; Gary Brand; Charles. Barnett
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-45. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [CD included].
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (10.89 MB)
DescriptionThe second full annual inventory of Indiana's forests reports more than 4.75 million acres of forest land with an average volume of more than 2,000 cubic feet per acre. Forest land is dominated by the white oak/red oak/hickory forest type, which occupies nearly a third of the total forest land area. Seventy-six percent of forest land consists of sawtimber, 16 percent contains poletimber, and 8 percent contains sapling/seedlings. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since the 1980s and currently totals more than 8.5 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on forest land from 2004 to 2008 is approximately 312 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, timber products, forest health, and statistics and quality assurance of data collection.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Webb, Mark N.; Wilson, Barry T.; Settle, Jeff; Piva, Ron J.; Perry, Charles H.; Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Crocker, Susan J.; Butler, Brett J.; Hansen, Mark; Hatfield, Mark; Brand, Gary; Barnett, Charles. 2011. Indiana’s Forests 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS-45. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 56 p. [CD included].
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, and forest health
XML: View XML