Skip to Main Content
Heat sterilization of woodAuthor(s): Xiping Wang
Source: Wood handbook : wood as an engineering material: chapter 20. Centennial ed. General technical report FPL ; GTR-190. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2010: p. 20.1-20.13.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (903.17 KB)
DescriptionTwo important questions should be considered in heat sterilizing solid wood materials: First, what temperature–time regime is required to kill a particular pest? Second, how much time is required to heat the center of any wood configuration to the kill temperature? The entomology research on the first question has facilitated the development of international standards for heat sterilization of various solid wood materials. This chapter primarily addresses the second question. It focuses on various factors that should be considered when planning and implementing a heat treatment process, discusses experimentally derived heating times for commonly used wood products, and presents analytical and empirical methods for estimating heating times that can be used as starting points in the development of heat treatment schedules. Current wood packaging material enforcement regulations and several additional practical considerations for heat treatment operations are also presented.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Xiping. 2010. Heat sterilization of wood. Wood handbook : wood as an engineering material: chapter 20. Centennial ed. General technical report FPL ; GTR-190. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2010: p. 20.1-20.13.
KeywordsHeat treatment, sterilization, packaging, pest control, standards, heat equation, lumber, regression analysis, insect control, wood sterilization, temperature, heat sterilization, heating time, invasive species, specifications, standards
- Estimating heating times of wood boards, square timbers, and logs in saturated steam by multiple regression
- Heating times for round and rectangular cross sections of wood in steam
- Heat sterilization of ash (Fraxinus spp.) firewood : heat-treating options, temperature monitoring and thermal verification
XML: View XML