Skip to Main Content
Mechanical properties of wood-based composite materialsAuthor(s): Zhiyong Cai; Robert J. Ross
Source: Wood handbook : wood as an engineering material: chapter 12. Centennial ed. General technical report FPL ; GTR-190. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2010: p. 12.1-12.12.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (542.98 KB)
DescriptionThe term composite is used to describe any wood material bonded together with adhesives. The current product mix ranges from fiberboard to laminated beams and components. In this chapter, wood-based composite materials are classified into the following categories: panel products (plywood, oriented strandboard (OSB), particleboard, fiberboard, medium-density fiberboard (MDF), hardboard); structural timber products (glued-laminated timber (glulam), laminated veneer lumber (LVL), laminated strand lumber, parallel strand lumber); and wood–nonwood composites (wood fiber–thermoplastics, inorganic-bonded composites). Wood-based composites are used for a number of structural and nonstructural applications. Product lines include panels for both interior and exterior uses, furniture components, and support structures in buildings. Knowledge of the mechanical properties of these products is of critical importance to their proper use.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCai, Zhiyong; Ross, Robert J. 2010. Mechanical properties of wood-based composite materials. Wood handbook : wood as an engineering material: chapter 12. Centennial ed. General technical report FPL ; GTR-190. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2010: p. 12.1-12.12.
KeywordsComposite materials, mechanical properties, wood-plastic composites, thermoplastic composites, particle board, panels, plywood, fiberboard, hardboard, laminated wood, standards, performance standards, elasticity, modulus of elasticity, adhesives, glue, elastic properties, testing, strength, composite wood, wood-plastic materials, oriented strandboard, OSB, glulam timbers
- Wood-based composite materials : panel products, glued-laminated timber, structural composite lumber, and wood-nonwood composite materials
- Adhesives with wood materials : bond formation and performance
- Composite materials from forest biomass : a review of current practices, science, and technology
XML: View XML