Skip to Main Content
West Virginia timber industry: an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007Author(s): Ronald J. Piva; Gregory W. Cook
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-46. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 58 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (531.82 KB)
DescriptionIn 2007, there were 116 primary wood-processing mills in West Virginia, 60 fewer mills than in 2000. These mills processed 172.9 million cubic feet of industrial roundwood, of which 138.8 million cubic feet was harvested from the State. Another 50.5 million cubic feet of the industrial roundwood harvested in West Virginia was sent to primary wood-processing mills in other states and countries. Saw log harvesting accounted for 55 percent of the total harvest. The harvesting of industrial roundwood products produced 100.9 million cubic feet of logging residues. Primary wood-processing mills generated 2.1 million green tons of mill residues, with just over half of the mill residues being used by the pulpwood and particleboard industries. Only 1 percent of the mill residues generated were not being used for other products.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPiva, Ronald J.; Cook, Gregory W. 2011. West Virginia timber industry: an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007. Resour. Bull. NRS-46. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 58 p.
KeywordsIndustrial roundwood, harvest residue, mill residue, production, pulpwood, receipts, saw logs, veneer logs
- Minnesota timber industry: an assessment of timber product output and use, 2010
- Kentucky’s timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2009
- South Carolina's timber industry-an assessment of timber product output and use, 2005
XML: View XML