Skip to Main Content
Forest carbon estimation using the Forest Vegetation Simulator: Seven things you need to knowAuthor(s): Coeli M. Hoover; Stephanie A. Rebain
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-77. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 16 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.23 MB)
DescriptionInterest in options for forest-related greenhouse gas mitigation is growing, and so is the need to assess the carbon implications of forest management actions. Generating estimates of key carbon pools can be time consuming and cumbersome, and exploring the carbon consequences of management alternatives is often a complicated task. In response to this, carbon reporting capability has been added to the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) growth and yield modeling system, allowing users to produce carbon reports along with traditional FVS outputs. All methods and computations are consistent with Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Good Practice Guidance and U.S. voluntary carbon accounting rules and guidelines. We briefly describe the FVS system, outline the carbon pools estimated, and provide an overview of the data requirements, capabilities, features, and limitations of the model and the carbon reports. We also review common questions and pitfalls encountered by users when running the model.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoover, Coeli M.; Rebain, Stephanie A. 2011. Forest carbon estimation using the Forest Vegetation Simulator: Seven things you need to know. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-77. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 16 p.
KeywordsForest Vegetation Simulator, forest carbon estimation, forest carbon sequestration, harvested wood products
- The Kane Experimental Forest carbon inventory: Carbon reporting with FVS
- Third Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; 2007 February 13-15; Fort Collins, CO
- Using FIA data in the Forest Vegetation Simulator
XML: View XML