Skip to Main Content
Phylogeny of Salsoleae s.l. (Chenopodiaceae) based on DNA sequence data from ITS, psbB-psbH, and rbcL, with emphasis on taxa of northwestern ChinaAuthor(s): Zhi-Bin Wen; Ming-Li Zhang; Ge-Lin Zhu; Stewart C. Sanderson
Source: Plant Systematics and Evolution. 288: 25-42.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (451.33 KB)
DescriptionTo reconstruct phylogeny and verify the monophyly of major subgroups, a total of 52 species representing almost all species of Salsoleae s.l. in China were sampled, with analysis based on three molecular markers (nrDNA ITS, cpDNA psbB-psbH and rbcL), using maximum parsimony, maximum likelihood, and Bayesian inference methods. Our molecular evidence provides strong support for the following: (1) Camphorosmeae is nested within Salsoleae s.l. instead of the previously suggested sister relationship. (2) Tribe Salsoleae s.l. is monophyletic and is composed of three monophyletic subunits, Caroxyloneae, the Kali clade, and Salsoleae s.str. (3) Climacoptera is separated from Salsola s.l. It does not form a monophyletic group but is split into two monophyletic parts, Climacoptera I and Climacoptera II. (4) Halogeton is clearly polyphyletic, as are Anabasis and the genus Salsola s.l. (5) Caroxylon, Haloxylon, Kali, and Petrosimonia are well-supported monophyletic genera. Additional evidence is needed regarding the monophyly of Halimocnemis, which remains unclear.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWen, Zhi-Bin; Zhang, Ming-Li; Zhu, Ge-Lin; Sanderson, Stewart C. 2010. Phylogeny of Salsoleae s.l. (Chenopodiaceae) based on DNA sequence data from ITS, psbB-psbH, and rbcL, with emphasis on taxa of northwestern China. Plant Systematics and Evolution. 288: 25-42.
KeywordsSalsoleae s.l., Anabasis, Climacoptera, Halogeton, molecular phylogeny, China
- The genus Kochia (Chenopodiaceae) in North America
- Polyploidy enhances the occupation of heterogeneous environments through hydraulic related trade-offs in Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae)
- Chromosome races of fourwing saltbush (Atriplex canescens), Chenopodiaceae
XML: View XML