Skip to Main Content
Trends in the US hardwood lumber distribution industry: changing products, customers, and servicesAuthor(s): Urs Buehlmann; Omar Espinoza; Matthew Bumgardner; Bob Smith
Source: Forest Products Journal. 60(6): 547-553.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (333.21 KB)
DescriptionEfficient and effective supply chains are the backbone of any industry, including the forest products industry. As the US secondary hardwood industry has undergone a profound transformation and large parts of the industry have moved offshore, the supply chain is adapting to these new realities. Remaining and new customers of US hardwood lumber distributors tend to be smaller and likely have a wide variety of unique needs and expectations. A survey conducted in the fall of 2008 of distributors of hardwood lumber assessed the sourcing needs and perceptions of the industry and describes the status of the industry as of 2007. The findings suggest that the US hardwood lumber industry is adapting to the new realities brought forth by the globalization of markets and slowing housing markets. Almost half of the respondents indicated that their average customer in 2007 was smaller than the average customer in 2003, and 75 percent of respondents indicated that the average order was smaller in 2007 versus 2003. To accommodate their customers, distributors added a plethora of new services, with provision of certified products being the fastest growing. Overall, the study depicts an ongoing transformation of the US hardwood lumber supply chain, where distributors are well positioned to meet the exacting specifications of numerous small and customized manufacturers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationBuehlmann, Urs; Espinoza, Omar; Bumgardner, Matthew; Smith, Bob. 2010. Trends in the US hardwood lumber distribution industry: changing products, customers, and services. Forest Products Journal. 60(6): 547-553.
- Hardwood lumber distribution yards: Output, demands, and perceptions of their role
- Manufacturers and distributors in the U.S. hardwood lumber supply chain: Perceptions of industry trends
- Assessing changes in the U.S. hardwood sawmill industry with a focus on markets and distribution
XML: View XML