Skip to Main Content
Impact of Imidacloprid for control of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid on nearby aquatic macroinvertebrate asseblages.Author(s): Melissa Churchel; James Hanula; C. Wayne Berisford; James Vose; Mark Dalusky
Source: South. J. Appl. For. 35(1)26-32
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (122.62 KB)
DescriptionImidacloprid, a systemic insecticide that acts on the nervous system, is currently being used to control hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae Annand), which is damaging hemlock trees. The objective of this study was to determine whether soil injection with imidacloprid for hemlock woolly adelgid control near streams adversely affects aquatic invertebrates. Eastern hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) in the watersheds surrounding four streams in the southern Appalachian region of Georgia and North Carolina were treated with imidacloprid. Addie Branch was the only stream that exhibited a possible effect from imidacloprid treatment. However, the data followed the same pattern as the other treatment streams, but with a more pronounced decrease in taxa due to adult emergence. Only a trace amount of imidacloprid was detected in one water sample from Holcomb Tributary over a period of 2 years, and no effect was observed on the aquatic macroinvertebrates in that stream. However, caution should be used when applying these results to other areas with different soil types (e.g., low organic matter content) that may not bind imidacloprid as tightly. Our results indicate that soil injections of imidacloprid can safely be used in the southern Appalachian area to control hemlock woolly adelgid.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChurchel, M.A.; Hanula, J.L.; Berisford, C.W.; Vose, J.M.; Dalusky, M.J. 2011. Impact of Imidacloprid for control of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid on nearby aquatic macroinvertebrate asseblages. South. J. Appl. For. 35(1)26-32.
Keywordsstreams, nontarget, aquatic insects, pesticides
- Biology and control of hemlock woolly adelgid
- Impacts of hemlock decline and ecological considerations for hemlock stand restoration following hemlock woolly adelgid outbreaks
- Effects of the removal of overstory hemlock from hemlock-dominated forests on eastern redback salamanders
XML: View XML