Skip to Main Content
Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest and Inventory Analysis programAuthor(s): Paul L. Patterson; Renee A. O'Brien
Source: Res. Pap. RMRS-RP-87. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (1.28 MB)
DescriptionThe Interior West Forest Inventory and Analysis (IW-FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service collects field data on understory vegetation structure that have broad applications. In IW-FIA one aspect of quality assurance is assessed based on the repeatability of field measurements. The understory vegetation protocol consists of two suites of measurements; (1) the structure by lifeform and (2) the structure for individual species with cover greater than five percent. The measurements of structure by lifeform and species are highly repeatable; however, since species identification is confounded with cover threshold, the repeatability of species identification cannot be evaluated using FIA's tolerance and compliance rate protocol for measuring repeatability. The protocols used to collect the data analyzed in this paper are specific to IW-FIA. A standardized national understory vegetation procedure that is very similar to the IW-FIA procedure described here will be implemented in 2011 for all FIA units.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPatterson, Paul L.; O'Brien, Renee A. 2011. Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest and Inventory Analysis program. Res. Pap. RMRS-RP-87. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p.
Keywordsunderstory, vegetation, species, cover, forest inventory
- Building the Forest Inventory and Analysis Tree-Ring Data set
- Lava, VOG, and tropical forests: working with the FIA program in Hawaii
- Sampling and estimation procedures for the vegetation diversity and structure indicator
XML: View XML