Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Conservation and management of Neotropical migrants landbirds in the Northern Rockies and Great Plains [book review]Author(s): Deborah M. Finch
Source: Ecology. 76(7): 2339-2340.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (243.29 KB)
DescriptionNumerous recent articles and books on the population declines and conservation of neotropical migratory landbirds herald a new interest by university researchers. governmental agencies, and private organizations in inventorying, monitoring, and managing populations of bird species in North America. Dobkin's book, written under contract to the Northern Region of the USDA Forest Service, contributes to a growing body of literature that summarizes population status and natural histories of migratory landbird species on managed lands. The purpose of the book was to summarize effects of management practices (e.g., logging, grazing. pesticide use) on species of neotropical migratory birds within the boundaries defined by the Forest Services' Northern Region (Montana, northern Idaho, North Dakota, northwestern South Dakota) and to review the habitat requirements, foraging behavior, and status of regional migratory species. The goals of the book are modest, with no intent to develop groundshaking theories. The book accomplishes what the author set out to do, to supply a summary report that will assist government agencies in identifying how and which neotropical migratory bird species may need attention in light of various management practices. In many respects, it reads like a field guide to the Northern Region's neotropical birds, minus the pictures.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFinch, Deborah M. 1995. Conservation and management of Neotropical migrants landbirds in the Northern Rockies and Great Plains [book review]. Ecology. 76(7): 2339-2340.
Keywordsneotropical migrants landbirds, conservation, management
- Opportunities and goals of the Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Program - Partners in Flight
- Neotropical Migratory Birds of the Southern Appalachians
- The Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship (MAPS) Program: overview and progress
XML: View XML