Skip to Main Content
The ploidy races of Atriplex confertifolia (chenopodiaceae)Author(s): Stewart C. Sanderson
Source: Western North American Naturalist 71(1): 67-77.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (317.53 KB)
DescriptionPrevious accounts of polyploidy in the North American salt desert shrub Atriplex confertifolia (shadscale) have dealt with the distribution of polyploidy and the morphological and secondary chemical differences between races. The present study amplifies these studies and reveals additional ploidy-flavonoid races, with ploidy levels known to extend from 2x to 12x, and all except 2x and 12x represented by races with and without 6-methoxylation of flavonol compounds. Results of this study show that diploids across their range have about 113% as much DNA per genome as do polyploids and that parallel variation in monoploid genome size between diploids and accompanying polyploids can be shown in different parts of the species' range. Polyploidy, therefore, appears to have developed independently in several areas of the western United States. Hexaploids are generally not as common as octoploids in shadscale, which could be an indication of diploidization of older tetraploid races.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSanderson, Stewart C. 2011. The ploidy races of Atriplex confertifolia (chenopodiaceae). Western North American Naturalist 71(1): 67-77.
Keywordsploidy races, salt desert shrub, Atriplex confertifolia
- Polyploidy enhances the occupation of heterogeneous environments through hydraulic related trade-offs in Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae)
- Chromosome races of fourwing saltbush (Atriplex canescens), Chenopodiaceae
- Seed germination biology of Intermountain populations of fourwing saltbush (Atriplex canescens: Chenopodiaceae)
XML: View XML