Skip to Main Content
Transverse vibrations of wood-based products : equations and considerationsAuthor(s): Joseph F. Murphy
Source: Research Note FPL-RN-0324. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2011: 4 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (581.11 KB)
DescriptionFour equations are presented to determine bending stiffness using transverse vibration. These equations are used for constant cross-section products, panels, rectangular cross-section products, and logs with and without taper. Practical considerations for their use are discussed and concluding remarks are included.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMurphy, Joseph F. 2011. Transverse vibrations of wood-based products : equations and considerations. Research Note FPL-RN-0324. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2011: 4 p.
KeywordsWood products, mechanical properties, testing, nondestructive testing, bending, vibrational properties, equations, taper, bending strength, modulus of elasticity, elasticity, stiffness, transverse vibration, bending stiffness, constant cross section, panels, rectangular cross section, logs
- Commentary on factors affecting transverse vibration using an idealized theoretical equation
- WinXSPRO, a channel cross section analyzer, User's Manual, Version 3.0
- Structural analysis equations
XML: View XML