Skip to Main Content
Spatial patterns of land cover in the United States: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA AssessmentAuthor(s): Kurt H. Riitters
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-136. Asheville, NC: Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 64 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (18.44 MB)
DescriptionLand cover patterns inventoried from a national land cover map provide information about the landscape context and fragmentation of the Nation’s forests, grasslands, and shrublands. This inventory is required to quantify, map, and evaluate the capacities of landscapes to provide ecological goods and services sustainably. This report documents the procedures to inventory and summarize land cover composition, juxtaposition, and structure as exhibited at several measurement scales. National and regional results are summarized in tabular form, and representative statistics are illustrated in figures (for States) and maps (for counties). The baseline information in this inventory is a starting point for future analyses of landscape changes.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRiitters, Kurt H. 2011. Spatial patterns of land cover in the United States: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-136. Asheville, NC: Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 64 p.
KeywordsForest, fragmentation, grassland, inventory, land cover pattern, Resources Planning Act, shrubland
- Applications of national land cover maps in United States forestry
- Combining forest inventory, satellite remote sensing, and geospatial data for mapping forest attributes of the conterminous United States
- American Samoa's forest resources, 2001.
XML: View XML