Skip to Main Content
Effects of bark beetle pheromones on the attraction of Monochamus alternatus to pine volatilesAuthor(s): Jian-Ting Fan; Daniel Miller; Long-Wa Zhang; Jiang-Hua Sun
Source: Insect Science 17:553-556
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (78.48 KB)
DescriptionWe evaluated the attraction of Monochamus alternatus Hope (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), Dryocoetes luteus Blandford and Orthotomicus erosusWollaston (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) to multiple-funnel traps baited with the pine volatiles, ethanol and (+)-α-pinene and the bark beetle pheromones, ipsenol and ipsdienol. M. alternatus were attracted to traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene but not those baited with ipsdienol and ipsenol. Ipsdienol and ipsenol decreased catches of M. alternatus in traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene. Traps baited with either binary combinations of ethanol and (+)-α-pinene or ipsdienol and ipsenol were attractive to D. luteus and O. erosus. The addition of ipsenol and ipsdienol to traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene synergized attraction of O. erosus but not D. luteus.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFan, Jian-Ting; Miller, D.R.; Zhang, Long-Wa, Sun, Jiang-Hua. 2010. Effects of bark beetle pheromones on the attraction of Monochamus alternatus to pine volatiles. Insect Science 17:553-556.
Keywordsbark beetle pheromones, Dryocoetes luteus, Monochamus alternatus, Orthotomicus erosus, pine volatiles
- Bark Beetle pheromones and pine volatiles: Attractant Kairomone Lure Blend for Longhorn Beetles (Cerambycidae) in pine stands of the southeastern United States.
- Variation in enantiospecific attraction of Ips avulsus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to the pheromone ipsdienol in Georgia.
- Trap lure blend of pine volatiles and bark beetle pheromones for Monochamus spp. (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in pine forests of Canada and the United States.
XML: View XML