Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Effects of bark beetle pheromones on the attraction of Monochamus alternatus to pine volatilesAuthor(s): Jian-Ting Fan; Daniel Miller; Long-Wa Zhang; Jiang-Hua Sun
Source: Insect Science 17:553-556
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (78.48 KB)
DescriptionWe evaluated the attraction of Monochamus alternatus Hope (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), Dryocoetes luteus Blandford and Orthotomicus erosusWollaston (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) to multiple-funnel traps baited with the pine volatiles, ethanol and (+)-α-pinene and the bark beetle pheromones, ipsenol and ipsdienol. M. alternatus were attracted to traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene but not those baited with ipsdienol and ipsenol. Ipsdienol and ipsenol decreased catches of M. alternatus in traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene. Traps baited with either binary combinations of ethanol and (+)-α-pinene or ipsdienol and ipsenol were attractive to D. luteus and O. erosus. The addition of ipsenol and ipsdienol to traps baited with ethanol and (+)-α-pinene synergized attraction of O. erosus but not D. luteus.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFan, Jian-Ting; Miller, D.R.; Zhang, Long-Wa, Sun, Jiang-Hua. 2010. Effects of bark beetle pheromones on the attraction of Monochamus alternatus to pine volatiles. Insect Science 17:553-556.
Keywordsbark beetle pheromones, Dryocoetes luteus, Monochamus alternatus, Orthotomicus erosus, pine volatiles
- Bark Beetle pheromones and pine volatiles: Attractant Kairomone Lure Blend for Longhorn Beetles (Cerambycidae) in pine stands of the southeastern United States.
- Variation in enantiospecific attraction of Ips avulsus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to the pheromone ipsdienol in Georgia.
- Trap lure blend of pine volatiles and bark beetle pheromones for Monochamus spp. (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in pine forests of Canada and the United States.
XML: View XML