Skip to Main Content
A CT-based Simulator for Hardwood Log VeneeringAuthor(s): Daniel L. Schmoldt; Pei Li; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, 2nd International Workshop/Seminar on Scanning Technology and Image Processing on Wood. 65-75.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1657 KB)
DescriptionProfits for hardwood veneer manufacturers are dependent on proper initial log breakdown (flitching) decisions. While human skill is often adequate to ãreadä bark indicators of internal defects, it is much more difficult to envision potential veneer patterns that result from different flitching options. Different veneer patterns greatly affect potential markets and veneer value. To help veneer mill operators ãseeä different veneer patterns, we have created a simulator that displays the veneer that results from different flitching and different veneer slicing operations. The simulator uses CT images of a log to construct veneer images. Presently, the simulator incorporates six different types of veneer slicing operations: rotary cut, half-round slicing, quarter-round slicing, rift cut, flat slicing, and back cut. The user can select any of these veneering operations and can then graphically place flitching lines on the log and can view corresponding veneer slices. While CT imaging of logs is not currently part of industrial operations, we feel that this sector of hardwood processing has the highest payback for CT scanning expense and, hence, we view this simulator as a demonstration system that can illustrate potential benefits to manufacturers.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchmoldt, Daniel L.; Li, Pei; Araman, Philip A. 1995. A CT-based Simulator for Hardwood Log Veneering. Proceedings, 2nd International Workshop/Seminar on Scanning Technology and Image Processing on Wood. 65-75.
- Interactive Simulation of Hardwood Log Veneer Slicing Using CT Images
- Lumber value differences from reduced CT spatial resolution and simulated log sawing
- Interactive machine learning for postprocessing CT images of hardwood logs
XML: View XML