Skip to Main Content
Temperature and Soil Moisture Regimes In and Adjacent to the Fernow Experimental ForestAuthor(s): Jerry T. Crews; Linton Wright
Source: Res. Pap. NE-713, Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (75.84 KB)
DescriptionThe effects of elevation, aspect, ambient air temperature, and soil moisture on soil temperature were examined in and adjacent to the Fernow Experimental Forest in West Virginia to determine the extent of frigid soils. The mean annual temperature of frigid soils ranges from 1? to 7?C at a depth of 50 cm; the difference between mean winter and mean summer temperatures exceeds 5?C. Soil temperature and moisture were measured and data on air temperature were collected at study sites on or near the Fernow from December 1994 to December 1997. Readings were taken 6 times during the year (January, February, June, July, August, and December) and the mean annual and seasonal soil temperatures were calculated. The winter (December-February) and summer (June-August) mean soil temperatures at each site were used to determine the extent of frigid soils. One soil was classified as frigid for 2 consecutive years.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrews, Jerry T.; Wright, Linton. 2000. Temperature and Soil Moisture Regimes In and Adjacent to the Fernow Experimental Forest. Res. Pap. NE-713, Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 4 p.
KeywordsForest soils, mesic soils, aspect, elevation
- Climatic summaries and documentation for the primary meteorological station, H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest, 1972 To 1984.
- Temperature of upland and peatland soils in a north central Minnesota forest
- Annual cycles of soil and water temperatures at Hubbard Brook
XML: View XML