Skip to Main Content
Cost of Maple Sap Production for Various Size Tubing OperationsAuthor(s): Niel K. Huyler
Source: Res. Pap. NE-712. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 6 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (104.5 KB)
DescriptionReports sap production costs for small (500 to 1,000 taps), medium (1,000 to 5,000), and large (5,000 to 15,000) maple syrup operations that use plastic tubing with vacuum pumping. The average annual operating cost per tap ranged from $4.64 for a 500-tap sugarbush operation to $1.84 for a sugarbush with 10,000 taps. The weighted average was $2.87 per tap or $11.48 per gallon (assumes four taps required to produce a gallon of syrup). The average annual investment cost for a plastic tubing system ranged from $7.90 for a 500-tap operation to $6.03 for a 10,000-tap system. The average labor time per tap was 4.74 minutes in 1998 compared to 9.60 minutes in 1975. The break-even (zero profit) size for a sugarbush operation was 900, 1,500, and 3,800 taps for a 3.0, 2.5, and 2.0? Brix sap, respectively.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuyler, Niel K. 2000. Cost of Maple Sap Production for Various Size Tubing Operations. Res. Pap. NE-712. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 6 p.
Keywordssap production, cost, break-even size operation
- A cost analysis: processing maple syrup products
- The cost of maple sugaring in Vermont
- Maple Syrup Producers of the Lake States, USA: Attitudes Towards and Adaptation to Social, Ecological, and Climate Conditions
XML: View XML