Skip to Main Content
Managed forest carbon estimates for the US greenhouse gas inventory, 1990-2008Author(s): Linda S. Heath; James E. Smith; Kenneth E. Skog; David J. Nowak; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Journal of Forestry. 109(3): 167-173.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (326.93 KB)
DescriptionLand-use change and forestry is the major category featuring carbon sequestration in the annual US Greenhouse Gas Inventory, required by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. We describe the National Greenhouse Gas Inventory and present the sources of our data and methods and the most recent results. Forests and forest products in the United States sequestered more than -790 million metric tn of CO2 equivalent in 2008, on 253 million ha of forestland. This estimate represents a net increase in carbon, including effects of growth, harvests, or other disturbances of forest ecosystems, as well as carbon stored in harvested wood products. Both area and carbon density of these forestlands have increased since 1990, the first year estimates are required. Currently, 89% of net annual sequestration is in the forest ecosystem, and the balance is net carbon addition to harvested wood products.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeath, Linda S.; Smith, James E.; Skog, Kenneth E.; Nowak, David J.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2011. Managed forest carbon estimates for the US greenhouse gas inventory, 1990-2008. Journal of Forestry. 109(3): 167-173.
Keywordscarbon sequestration, forest biomass, forest carbon accounting
- Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphaisis on USDA Forest Service ownership
- Estimates of carbon stored in harvested wood products from United States Forest Service Alaska Region, 1910-2012
- Carbon factors and models for forest carbon estimates for the 2005-2011 National Greenhouse Gas Inventories of the United States
XML: View XML