A socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: eight case studiesAuthor(s): Susan Charnley; Pamela J. Jakes; John Schelhas
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-831. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 168 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (9.3 MB)
DescriptionThe American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 aimed to create jobs and jumpstart the economy while addressing the Nation’s social and environmental needs. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, received $1.15 billion in recovery funding to support projects in wildland fire management, capital improvement and maintenance, and biomass utilization. This volume contains eight individual case-study reports that describe how Forest Service economic recovery projects from around the United States are contributing to socioeconomic well-being in rural communities and investigates how forest restoration, conservation, and rural community development goals can be linked to promote healthy forests and healthy communities. Research findings demonstrate that these projects met several goals of the act: (1) preserve and create jobs and stimulate economic recovery; (2) assist those most impacted by the recession; and (3) invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure for long-term economic benefits. A companion synthesis report contains key findings and lessons learned by comparing the eight case studies presented here.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCharnley, Susan; Jakes, Pamela; Schelhas, John, tech. coords. 2011. A socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: eight case studies. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-831. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 168 p.
KeywordsAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act, national forests, rural communities, economic development, socioeconomic assessment
- Socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service American Recovery and Reinvestment Act projects: key findings and lessons learned
- Procurement contracting in the affected counties of the Northwest Forest Plan: 12 years of change.
- Chapter 6: A socioeconomic assessment of Forest Service Recovery Act Projects: Huron Fuels Treatment Project, Michigan
XML: View XML